Get $25 off your next month’s rent if you refer a friend!
Archive for maddy
Contact the office to learn more about our military discount. Call 541-385-4761.
- Rule of Thumb: Keep boxes and furniture a few inches away from concrete or block walls to avoid any moisture transfer. It is okay to have plastic bins
- Use pallets, bricks or 2×4’s to keep items off the floor of the unit.
- Stack your things in similar sized boxes as they will be easier to stack.
- Stack heavier items on the bottom – But be sure not to over pack boxes so they get too heavy and dangerous.
- Avoid stacking things directly against the wall to leave room for some air flow in the unit.
- Make a plan on how to organize your unit. This will save you time in the long run. You can store couches on end, stack chairs seat to seat, and use larger items to store blankets, clothes, and smaller knickknacks.
- Leave a walkway down the center of your unit to make accessing all items easier.
- You may need to purchase shelving units to better utilize your storage space. This could even make your space needs smaller and save you money. We have them available to rent for only $5.00 a month!
- Label all boxes on all sides. Again, this will save you time in the long run.
- Pack items that you will be frequently accessing towards the front – common sense, we know.
- Take apart large items, such as bed frames, tables, etc. This will save space and prevent them from breaking. Be sure to keep all parts together. Keep screws and smaller items handy by taping them to the larger item they belong to.
- If storing appliances be sure to clean them out first! Leave the door slightly open on refrigerators and microwaves to prevent mildew.
- Rub a small amount of oil on metal tools, bikes, etc. This will prevent rust – but be sure to separate these to not get oil on other things!
- Store mirrors and paintings on end, do not lay them flat. Wrap and indicate they are fragile.
- Lay blankets or cloth over and between furniture to prevent scratching.
- Make an inventory of the items you are storing and keep it in a safe, easy to find location. For highly valuable items it is recommended you take photos as well.
- Store any sort of food item in a storage unit as it will attract rodents.
- Leave paint, oil, or gasoline in your storage unit. Drain all gas and oil from lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc. It is against the law to store hazardous or combustible materials such as these.
- Put mothballs in boxes, they could possibly leave stains on clothing.
- Give any un-trusted source access codes or keys to your storage unit.
- Hesitate to ask the facility manager any questions you may have before or during move-in!
Storage tips from USstoragesearch.com
Category: Storage Tips |